We have only 22 days left until our wedding!! We are both very excited for the "big day," the Hawaii honeymoon we have planned for the two weeks following the wedding, and being married. We have had a pretty long engagement and were lucky to be able to take care of a lot of the big ticket items early on. Right now, we are very much in the "detail stage" - picking decorations, planning time lines, etc. It's a little bit overwhelming at times how many decisions there are to make. The wedding is coming together nicely though and we feel comfortable that it will be a fun weekend that really reflects who we are and what we value.
Last weekend my family (efforts led by my mom and sister) threw me a "surprise" bridal shower. I put surprise in quotes because by the time Saturday rolled around I was pretty sure they had some bridal shower event up their sleeves. There had been enough questions, hints, and odd comments dropped that I had begun to piece it together! However, I was so thrilled and touched that they took the time to plan it and to try to make it a surprise. I literally had to do nothing but show up and enjoy myself. I've never had anyone do something like that for me and I will always remember it as a very special day.
The bridal shower took place at my grandparent's house. They had made chicken salad (my FAVORITE), had rolled deli meat and other sandwich makings, a Greek vegetable platter, a fruit platter, a tomato and mozzarella platter, chips, cupcakes, and more! It was a beautiful and tasty lunch.
Ruby and her friend made the cupcakes based on a design they found online. They were decorated to look like sunflowers, which are one of the main flowers for the wedding. I was so impressed, the cupcakes looked AMAZING! They tasted delicious too.
So. many. gifts! I am notoriously a slow gift opener, but I managed to make it through all of these packages without taking up TOO much time. I don't do a good job showing the gratitude I feel each time I open a present, but everything I opened was great and David and I are really excited to have so many "upgrades" for our home and life together! Thank you to everyone who came to the shower and for all of the gifts.
Even though I suspected my family was throwing me a shower, I had no idea who they had invited. I was happy to see so many people from my family there, as well as David's mother, sister, and grandmother. Two of my best friends from Cornell were able to make it as well. Viki came for a "visit" and I had no idea at the time it was at all related to the shower invitation - she did a great job making it sound like she just wanted to hang out. Diana was the big surprise for me, and I had no idea she was coming until the day before the shower when she wasn't online (we usually chat once a day). When I didn't see her on the gchat list I started to get suspicious that my family had helped "sneak" her in. I was very glad to see her there when I arrived and to get to spend the rest of the weekend with her and Viki. It's always great to hang out with my Cornell friends.
As part of the shower my mother collected all of the bows and ribbons and made a "practice bouquet" for me to use at the wedding rehearsal. There were so many traditions like this that I was unaware of. My mother took her job very seriously, and was very proud of her creation.
The day was great! Thank you to everyone who made it happen - to my mother and sister for planning, to my grandparents for hosting, and to all of the guests who came. And now the wedding planning continues.



No comments:
Post a Comment