Over Christmas we decided that it was time to freshen up the living room. We didn't have enough time over the break to tear in to the big renovations of the dining room and bedroom, so we decided to only do the living room. The living room walls were already painted (instead of the layers and layers of wallpaper in the other rooms) and actually looked in decent shape, with only one crack to fix.
We've done drywall in the kitchen and bathroom, but those walls were in terrible shape and would have been terrible to fix. To try and save some time and mess, we decided to patch the walls and paint over the plaster. In hindsight, this may or may not have been a good decision.
Ceiling paint, tons of molding sanding, and adding a few electrical outlets were also on the docket for this renovation. We've had to have extension cords running everywhere, so we were looking forward to having more outlets! The window molding was worse for wear, so I decided that I should replace the inner molding which was the most beat up, probably due to weather, air conditioners, and general abuse over the years.
You can distinctly see where I tried hard to sand the old molding smooth and where the new portion starts. It isn't perfect, but the new inner molding makes it look a lot cleaner and was super easy to do. However, I learned later that the 1/2" difference in window width that using a slightly thinner piece of molding caused our brand new blinds to be slightly too small. I fixed this for the other rooms, but I'll need to shim the blinds in the living room. Caroline was sad.
The room really started to come together when we started to paint. The molding looked super white, and the yellow walls (same as in the hallway) made the room much brighter and less "baby poopy".
We don't have great pictures of the finished room because we immediately moved ALL of our stuff in to it for renovating the dining room and bedroom (that renovation actually ended a few weeks ago, but we haven't taken new living room pics). You still can get the idea. You'll be hearing about the dining and bedroom renovation soon!
![]() |
| This is a really, really old picture from when we moved in. Complete ignore the floors, the point is that the walls were in decent shape. |
We've done drywall in the kitchen and bathroom, but those walls were in terrible shape and would have been terrible to fix. To try and save some time and mess, we decided to patch the walls and paint over the plaster. In hindsight, this may or may not have been a good decision.
![]() |
| This is the wall that needed the least repair. Seriously. |
Ceiling paint, tons of molding sanding, and adding a few electrical outlets were also on the docket for this renovation. We've had to have extension cords running everywhere, so we were looking forward to having more outlets! The window molding was worse for wear, so I decided that I should replace the inner molding which was the most beat up, probably due to weather, air conditioners, and general abuse over the years.
You can distinctly see where I tried hard to sand the old molding smooth and where the new portion starts. It isn't perfect, but the new inner molding makes it look a lot cleaner and was super easy to do. However, I learned later that the 1/2" difference in window width that using a slightly thinner piece of molding caused our brand new blinds to be slightly too small. I fixed this for the other rooms, but I'll need to shim the blinds in the living room. Caroline was sad.
The room really started to come together when we started to paint. The molding looked super white, and the yellow walls (same as in the hallway) made the room much brighter and less "baby poopy".
We don't have great pictures of the finished room because we immediately moved ALL of our stuff in to it for renovating the dining room and bedroom (that renovation actually ended a few weeks ago, but we haven't taken new living room pics). You still can get the idea. You'll be hearing about the dining and bedroom renovation soon!




No comments:
Post a Comment