Friday, June 21, 2013

Our Annual Moody Beach Adventure

Every year Grandpa George and his wife Linda take our family on a week long vacation to Moody Beach. This morning we were trying to figure out how many years we have been doing this, but we aren't quite sure--over ten years at least. It has morphed over the years as our family dynamics have changed, and different people have come and gone as part of our motley crew. Some years some people haven't been able to make it because of a job or summer camp obligation, but the tradition continues. The tradition began because we'd all spend our summer weekends at Joe's Pond with Grammy Jane or at Lake Winnipesaukee with Grammy Pat and Grandpa John--Grandpa George wanted to have something special we could do with him as well. This year our guests included Grandpa George, Linda, Dad, Christine, Alex, Alex's friend Kaley for a couple of days, Chip, Sabrina, David (off and on), and me. We've had a great time! I unfortunately have not spent any time on the beach other than a daily walk to enjoy the ocean and sand because I am still hard at work finishing my thesis.  I can't complain about being able to write to the sound and smell of the ocean though :) David joined us for the first weekend and has come up two additional nights after work--I was happy that the vacation coincided with him being in the office (he has finished his stint in Canada) so that he could join us.

On Sunday the day began with Congdon's Doughnuts, which Grandpa George always goes to get before everyone wakes up.


David, Christine, Dad, and I then enjoyed lunch together at Jake's Seafood - a small casual restaurant down the street that I go to for the chicken fingers :)


We then had dinner as a group at Fisherman's Catch - a tradition for us. Most people go there for the lobsters, but thankfully for non-seafood eaters like David and I their few chicken/beef options are tasty as well. It's a fun place because you dine on picnic tables and your napkins are rolls of paper towel hanging from the ceiling. 


For dessert we went to our favorite ice cream place, the Scoop Deck. I used to try all of the flavors until I discovered Moose Tracks - vanilla ice cream with really rich fudge swirls and peanut butter truffles. YUM. This year we were surprised to see that they had expanded the size of their business and parking lot! 


The rest of the week has consisted of the usual - time on the beach, boogie boarding, skim boarding, walks on the beach, reading / working in the afternoons, napping, bike rides (mainly Dad, David, Chip, and Grandpa) and dinners together. I usually enjoy cooking for everyone but this year I have really done nothing other than sit at my computer and work so Sabrina, Chip, Grandpa, Linda, Christine, Dad, and Alex took over the kitchen duties. We had a delicious dinner the first night made by Linda, and two wonderful and tasty meals by Sabrina as well. We ordered pizza one night, went to Fisherman's Catch twice, and tonight will probably be left overs. We have had no shortage of deliciously unhealthy food! Christine is extra happy to be here this year because she wasn't sure if she would be healed enough to join us. She does have to be careful to stay covered in the sun, but she has still been able to enjoy time on the beach. Ash and Pepper have stayed with Mom and Tommy this week, and while it sounds like it took some time for them to warm up to the idea they finally settled in with the other dogs and are doing just fine. Here are some more pictures from our week: 

Dad and Grandpa off on a bike ride. 


This year we had the good fortune of being together at the beach on Father's Day. Both Dad and Grandpa got quite a few cards and some goodies. Here is Dad showing off a chocolate bar from Alex.


Grandpa and Linda waiting outside of Fisherman's Catch.


Me, enjoying my Moose Tracks ice cream.



David, starting his bite.... 


...and then enjoying the flavor.
 

Half way through the week I discovered it was a lot nicer to write outside on the deck than inside at the dining table, so I set up a new home office. 


 Alex, Christine, and me - jumping on the beach.....


...and then I lost my face.


Dad and Christine, walking down to the rocks. Christine has made amazing improvement even just this week and has really pushed herself to walk in the sand! You have to laugh at Dad's hat.


My favorite picture of Chip and Sabrina walking on the beach. 


Me and Alex outside of Fisherman's Catch, trying to fight the bugs.


Me and Christine, I'm still in bug fighting garb.


And...we just can't cut off from technology.


Tomorrow is our last day at the beach, so this just about wraps up Moody Beach 2013! 

No comments:

Post a Comment