As many of you know, David and I have been working hard to get in better shape and lose some of the weight we gained while eating out all the time during house renovations. In addition to eating healthier, we have been trying to run a few times a week. David was able to jump back into it a little bit better than I was, but I have slowly worked my way up from suffering through a single mile to being able to reasonably comfortably run about three. I got it in my head about a month ago that one way to keep myself motivated would be to sign up for a 5K! Luckily for me, I have an awesome fiance who jumps on board with these sorts of things and he signed up as well. We are even planning to do another one in December!
We woke up early this morning (7:00am) and went through our morning routine (breakfast for Ash, breakfast for us, walk for Ash) and then headed down to Davis Square to participate in our very first 5K. The 5K was sponsored by the Somerville Homeless Coalition, so our registration fee went to a good cause. Oh, and we got cool matching t-shirts :) We didn't quite know what to expect, but in the end it turned out to be a lot of fun! Based on bib numbers there seemed to be about 1000 participants, and it was neat to run with a crowd. We decided before hand that we wouldn't run together so that David could compete for a personal best (I'm most certainly slower than he is, and was happy to trudge along at my own pace). We know a 5K isn't very far, but at least its a start for us non-runners! We hung around Davis after to enjoy a complimentary brunch, and are now back home for a little bit of Saturday yard work.





No comments:
Post a Comment